Friday, January 27, 2012

Drew in Blue by J.M. Kelley

Drew wasn't sure what to do when he found out he was going to be a father. His best idea was to write a check and walk away. Four months later, the mother shows up on his doorstep and says she doesn't want it. What's Drew to do with a baby? He doesn't know anything about babies and doesn't even want this baby. Drew can't bring himself to turn Nick over to child welfare to live life as Drew did as a child. He decides to call his best friend Kris. She's a woman. Surely she can help him. After all, she's got boobs so surely she has maternal instincts. Kris is wonderful with Nick. She loves him like he's her own. Unfortunately, she's not his mother, which Drew keeps pointing out. Then he hits her with a bomb. How's she supposed to respond to her best friend after he tells her something like that?

I really enjoyed this book. It was told from Drew's point of view. I kind of liked reading a book solely from the male perspective. I thought that Drew was very witty and charming. He could also be a jerk, but from my own perspective, that's just a trait of the male species. Kris was a woman who knew what she would and would not take from anyone and I loved her for it. Of course, Nick really stole the show. It was the gummy smiles and drool that did it for me. Set in the Appalachians, Kelley really wrote a beautiful small town story complete with festivals and nosy old biddies.

Stars- 4
Passion- 2
Length- approx. 267 pages

1 comment:

  1. How am I not seeing this review until now? Blasted Google searches! Thank you so much for reviewing Drew, and for your kind words! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it, and hope you forgive me for the belated thank you :)

    ReplyDelete