Thursday, January 5, 2012

Unto These Hills by Emily Sue Harvey

Unto These Hills is a book about beautiful Sunny from the South. She has an inner beauty to rival a saint and an outer beauty to rival an angel. This book spans her life from about 14 to, I'm thinking, her 60s. It's really wonderful to see her love for everyone, especially her wonderful boyfriend Daniel. Her story covers the gamut from betrayal to sibling rivalry to rape to horrifying confessions to death. Through a very unhappy life Sunny has learned to shut off her emotions to get her through anything. All the while, she still sees the good in everyone.

Unto These Hills is a very beautifully written novel. Emily Sue Harvey uses words to make you feel exactly how Sunny feels to the point you think they're your own emotions. You couldn't help but love, laugh, hate (or at least strongly dislike), and cry. You will really get into these characters. I also thoroughly enjoyed reading how these characters talk. Ms. Harvey nailed the southern dialect.

Now, as for my own personal taste, I felt the book was a little poetic in the beginning and it kind of drug out. I could also see why it was so flowery and poetic in the beginning. That was just part of Sunny's personality. But, I am being objective here and my personnal feelings don't count into my review.

Stars- 5
Passion- 1
Length- 450 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment