Wednesday, January 4, 2012

(W)hole by Ruth Madison

(W)hole is a book about a young woman named Elizabeth who is a devotee. She has an acute sexual attraction towards physically disabled men. This book shows self hatred for her "evil" feelings, a bubbling of hope when she meets Stewart, and the let down and pain of losing your first love.

I read this book in a day and was very pleased that I did decide to read it. I found it to be a very interesting subject. I have never heard of a devotee before. I wanted to read this and get some insight into this fetish. I was fascinated by the depth of emotion from Elizabeth and the authors description of her feelings.

Stewart was also charming. A former athlete who is now a parapalegic, trying to forget his past due to guilt and, I felt, some shame. He tried to come off as uncaring about his past and well adjusted to being in a wheelchair. This was done to the point that he hadn't even seen his friends in several years and moved across the country to completely disappear from the surfing world.

As Elizabeth starts to explore her sexuality with her new para boyfriend, tensions start to rise between her, friends and family, and even Stewart as she still tries to hide her secret feelings and her boyfriend.

Ruth Madison wrote an incredible book with lots of insight into a "taboo" subject. It made me tense and I could feel Elizabeth's anxieties and fear. The characters had such depth, the story drew me in, and I couldn't put it down.

Stars- 5
Passion- 2
Length- 256 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment